Sunday 6 December 2009

Well you should.

Maybe I'm missing the 'housewife gene' or maybe I have just never been interested in being kitchen deva conjuring up all manor of baked delights. I think the latter is most likely the truest.
Getting stuck in with the flour and eggs just doesn't float my boat, I don't want to bake. My mum however does every week and brings cakes and biscuits over. I know when she was younger this was a great money saver but nower days its just as cheap to buy them ready made.
So today I grit my teeth once again as I hear my mum say 'well you should' at my reluctance to bake, 'I wont bake for you any more in that case'.
I really want to inform her that I never actually asked her to anyway, and that I'm not a 1940's housewife with no other ambition than keeping house. I do not have allocated baking, washing and cleaning days. You'd think after 31 years of getting to know me she would realize that I haven't the slightest inclination to do so. When I was little she suggest she teach me to cook but I would turn to her and say that she can teach my brother instead. Don't get me wrong I can cook and I can bake I just don't derive any pleasure from doing so. Myself and my son eat well enough I don't see the problem?? None of my friends claim to be Martha Stuart either and they seem to be doing ok.
It just really gets on my nerves that she focuses on what she thinks I should be doing and completely ignores what I have done... oh say, raising my son to be a well rounded, confident happy boy who will talk to me about anything by myself AND all without having a string of near-do-wells piling through messing his head up.
So I don't bake, I don't care. There are worse fates than having no home made cake in the cupboard and I seem to be rather successfully avoiding every one of them.